Thursday, October 11, 2007

Gratitude & Appreciation

Yesterday was a lucky day in my Chinese astrology and with the newbiz website being almost done, I took advantage of my lucky stars to invite close friends & associates to register.

It was a rollercoaster of a day. Adrenaline in the morning, springing out of bed trying to get a million things done. Frantic energy as the hour drew closer. Uncertainty before pressing the SEND button because my friends' opinions mean so much to me. Euphoria when I received postitive feedback. So much gratitude for the support of friends. Anxiety about whether I can really pull this off. Exhaustion as the day drew to a close. Regret that my special someone wasn't here to share it with.

I read countless books about making a business happen, succeeding, autobiogs of famous entrepreneurs. How you need money, or a team, or a mentor, or a great idea. Yes, you do need all of those things, passion, commitment, a certain character....

But at the beginning, what you need most of all is someone who believes in you. Who knows with a fervor that you could do it.

There are many, many times during the process you think "I just can't do it, it's too hard, I'm not good enough, smart enough, strong enough..." Having someone to look you in the eye and tell you "YOU CAN DO IT" and know they really mean it is immense.

So here are my heartfelt thankyous.

My parents for doubting enough to make me dig my heels in.
The Dolphin for never wavering and his unshakeable faith in me.
The MooMoo for dreaming with me.
Jee, Juliet & Shermie for convincing me it was a great idea worth doing.
The Fruitcake for being the most unlikely of mentors and whom I've grown to love dearly.
James & Mark for always being there even when I'm not.
Choko for helping the duckling learn to swim.

Ok, this is not a freaking Oscar acceptance speech.

No comments: