Wednesday, April 25, 2007

The Story of Me (IV) : Who, What, Where?

My 2 years in Sydney, first at SCECGS Redlands then at the University of Sydney reaffirmed the fact that I still didn't have a clue what I was doing and where I was going. Never quite fit into SCECGS. I matriculated with good grades but nevertheless disappointing considering what I was capable of . Had no idea what what degree to pursue at Uni and forced into making a decision, I chose Accountancy because one of my parents said that it was a good degree to have under my wing.

Pity no-one thought my numerical dyslexia might get in the way. One term into the first year I realised what a dreadful mistake I'd made. Again. Faced with spreadsheets crawling with numbers that would literally move into different places everytime I looked at it, I escaped into books and unfulfilling relationships. Trying a little bit of this, having a taste of that....but finding nothing that satiated me.

I haven't even kept pictures from this period of limbo. I made some great friends but was as directionless as ever, and starting to take some knocks to my self-esteem because in spite of everyone's high hopes for me I just did not know what I was supposed to do! I was just treading water.

Everyone else seemed to have a plan. Where the hell was mine???

No comments: