Saturday, July 07, 2007
I offer to make an onion jam cos that goes with everything, and they never give you enough at the restaurants!
Ingredients for an Island Creamery ice cream tub approx 500g
1 kg red onions
100ml olive oil
120g soft brown sugar
2 tspns of salt
3 sprigs of rosemary
2 bay leaves
75ml of red wine vinegar
100 ml white wine
Ok, you should REALLY get a mandoline if you want to make this because slicing 1kg of onions is 1) boring; 2) tedious; 3) dull and 4) dreary.
- Peel and finely slice all those bloody onions
- Put the sliced onions and olive oil in a wok or a big heavy based frying pan and TURN THE HEAT ON!
- When you start to hear everything sizzling dash back to the hob and give everything a stir
- Alternate stirring the onions and drinking the other 650ml of wine until the onions look soft and translucent
- Add the brown sugar, vinegar, wine, herbs, cloves, salt - everything else, basically
- Stir it in
- Turn the heat down low, about a quarter of full power and let it bubble away for about an hour. Don't cover it cos you want the liquids to evaporate and leave a gooey caramel
- When most of the liquid has disappeared and the onions look brown, sticky and like the picture, they're ready!
Delish with...everything. Steaks, sausages, cheese, cheesey toasts, pate, pork. venison ... good with animals, basically.
It's the yummiest onion jam I've ever had! It'll keep for about 2 weeks in the fridge. Next time, I'm going to try a version with blasamic balsamic vinegar and red wine.